Mi Familia!!

Mi Familia!!
Roscoe, Sophia, & Emily(across top) and then I think you can figure out the rest!

Friday, April 24, 2009

A Quickie!

I am feeling much better!
I went to the doctor and got drained... literally, with a comically large needle... well, not the actual needle just the plunger part... it was gross... BUT I feel tons better and now I shouldn't ever have to see my stinky doc again. I wanted to write a big long thing about it... and still might at some point, but right now it is too negative of a thought... and now that it is over (we hope)...
I am moving right along. quickly.

I have mentioned my plummeting body image with this whole situation and I have started actively doing something about it.
I have a plan.
It involves paying very close attention to what I am putting in my body(at least until I break a few bad habits, like eating late at night)... I had stopped being as diligent over the past year or so.... and I no longer have that excuse. I didn't realize that I was using it... until the reason was gone. I also didn't realize how much I had given up on myself in this last period of time. The fact is that even the simplest things would hurt me... so I just stopped movin and groovin...
well, I'm ready to dance, again!

I am using an online source, SparkPeople, to track my food and be realistic about my caloric intakeand calories burned. It has a lot of good resources and message boards for support and so forth. I am still nursing, but he is 18 months old and it is not his only nutrition. I am in the process of don't ask/don't refuse.... meh... we'll see how it goes...
anyway... I want to get outside again and go to the park now that it is getting nice here finally. I maintained my weight throughout the last year, even lost some, but my body got so soft(and aged a lot!) from the lack of exercise. I was so much healthier last spring/summer because we went to the park everyday...and I wore Roscoe and ran around with Sophia.
I'm ready to go and play again.

Of course I'm not ready for that yet physically... but I will be soon. I am doing super light weights and slow and easy stretches. I know my body well enough to know when to stop. I forced info from my fabulous doc and now know that I can push the fluid back inside and not hurt myself...
{short story, I have a cap where the hernia used to go, it fills with fluid when I over do it... but if I relax I can get the fluid back in, like I used to with the actual hernia...as long as I'm gentle and calm. This cap will take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to heal... depending.. but at least now I know what it is and how to deal with it!}

I know that some of you are also stay at home moms... how do you find time to exercise? I want to be able to walk at first, to warm my body up (it's been fairly dormant!)...and work up to walking with some actual speed... and the only alone time I get is at 1 and 2 in the morning... not exactly a good time for walking the ghetto! : )
Any suggestions are welcome.. although I can say now that a gym is not financially possible (not to mention when I would go...).. I just need some good ideas of how to carve out some time for myself. It sounds good ( and is necessary), but I'm not sure how I can actually pull it off.

ok, just wanted to pop in and say hi! I'm here... I have a few different posts partially done.. a few recipes, and a project for my other blog. I'll get them up soon, but my Dad is coming to town this weekend so it might be a week or so still. Thanks for coming around when I can get here! : )

Today I am thankful that I have somehow flipped my positive switch back on....and it seems fairly stable in the happy position... ya! : )

I am grateful that my Dad will be here this weekend. His visits can sometimes stress me out.. but more in a good way than bad! I wish he could come more often!

12 comments:

Raoulysgirl said...

So glad you are in a more postive mind now! Also glad to hear that you are doing much better! As for the exercise thing, I do as much as I can WITH the babe...which is NOT as much as I'd like. However, with warm weather finally here (hurray!) we are going outside more in the evenings and playing with "the big kids"...soccer and volleyball and such. I don't think this will work "in the ghetto", however...LOL!

Anything that you could find to do inside, you could let the kiddos do it with you. My oldest LOVES Tae-Bo! Just be creative!!! Good luck...it's usually more difficult than not...but I have faith that you're determination will allow you to persevere!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I am happy to hear you are feeling better! God bless!

Willoughby said...

So glad things are getting better for you! If you like walking, you should check out Leslie Sansone's DVDs. She has walking workouts for all fitness levels that you do right in your living room. Some involve strength training as well. You can look at clips on exercisetv.com. I really like them because I can get in a two mile walk before the kids are out of bed without leaving the house.

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

I have the same issue- I stay at home, yet I have no time to work out. I don't really like to do technical exercise, instead I like to run and do yoga. If you have another mommy friend nearby, switch running/workout time with her (watch each others' kids). I also just take my kids to the park and walk laps with the baby while the big kid plays. And I do yoga in the living room during Bubba's nap. Good luck!

thrasherswife said...

you might want to look into a pedometer. You should take, now don't gasp, 10,000 steps a day. You could start monitoring how many you are doing (put it on first thing and wear it to the very end of the day). You may find walking around the house, to the park, that you don't have that many more to take, and simple 10 min walks around the house a few times a day may do the trick to accomplish the goal. It will up your exercise without much expense. Tat has great advise, anytime you can get someone else involved success is even easier. Good luck!

thamesarino said...

it's funny I had way more time to myself when I was a single mom with two jobs and going to school... how does that work? : )
of course I didn't see my lovely daughter nearly as much as I would have liked.. so I guess it's a trade off...
We had a beautiful day here and we were at the park.... I jogged in place and back in forth between the kids.. not exactly thway I would choose... but it got my blood pumping! : ) thanks everyone! : )

Lissaloo said...

Good for you, eating at night is my downfall for sure.

Marcia Tullous said...

Hello Mrs. Ruth~ I love the post and the sweet comment you left on my blog. I too am so grateful to be able to stay in touch and connected in this way.

I hear you on finding time to do what you need too! I use weekends, when Jason is around, to do longer walks or a longer practice. Also, I play with Liam outside running with him and such. I practice before I teach but am fortunate that Jason can come home early for me to go. Of course, that is different when camp season is in. I also sometimes do a gentle yoga practice after Liam is asleep or during the day when he is napping or when he is playing or watching a little show he likes. I find time where I can and it makes me a much happier person and mama. Oh! Also, Liam loves to join me in whatever I am doing. Our play yoga sessions are only about 8 minutes long but it is fun for us both to get silly and move around.

Would it be possible for Emily to look after the little ones while you do a quick walk/run session outside in your neighborhood? I don't know. I am sure it is challenging with three kids to care for. I hope this helps. Be kind to yourself while you heal but get back out there and give yourself the time you deserve as soon as you can.

"Pay yourself first," is something Jason always says to me to remind me to do what I need for my own health and well being. I hope this helps.

Love and Blessings of Creativity to you,
Marcia

Unknown said...

come by to pick up your award

Willoughby said...

I left you an award on my blog! Stop by and pick it up when you have a chance!

Raoulysgirl said...

I, too, have an award for you!!!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Me, too! (I have an award for you!)